Which permissions does the installer need?
The WIRIS Quizzes automatic installer (as well as the uninstaller) is a script that gets executed by the web server. Hence, it will be able to do only what the web server is allowed to do. As a safety measure, it is customary to restrict as much as possible access to the web server files. In order for the installer to work properly, make sure the web server that reading and writing permission in the following paths (from the root directory of Moodle):
Note that the installer needs permission to read and write both in the wiris-quizzes folder and in all the files it contains. In the other cases, permissions are needed only for the one file or folder indicated.
Once permissions have been granted in those locations, launch the installer. Once installation is complete, restore the initial settings to those files and also to the new WIRIS Quizzes files, which are:
Which WIRIS Quizzes service server must be selected?
An important part of Quizzes is provided by an external server, which is in charge of running the WIRIS cas programs, evaluating variables and student answers, and other tasks. The WIRIS Quizzes service server is not usually in the same computer where Moodle and Quizzes are installed.
If you are installing this software in a test or a demo environment, quite probably you will find more convenient to use the demo server provided by WIRIS. Select the option “WIRIS demo".
If you want to specify manually a server, select the last option, “Use your own server”, and fill in the three fields that determine the service:
- WIRIS Quizzes server host: the address of the server where the WIRIS Quizzes service is installed. For instance, services.wiris.com.
- WIRIS Quizzes server port: the port in which the WIRIS Quizzes service can be found. For instance, 80.
- WIRIS Quizzes server path: the service path, relative to the server address. For instance, /quizzes/qwirisservlet.
Which tables does WIRIS Quizzes create in Moodle’s database?
Quizzes needs a set of additional tables in Moodle’s database, where information is stored about the questions that use Quizzes’s functionalities. Note that questions which do not use Quizzes’s functionalities will use only the usual tables of Moodle.
Concretely, Quizzes uses two tables for each question it can handle. One table is use to store the options of each question, and the other stores data need by the WIRIS cas program. The names of these tables are the following (remember to add the prefix of the tables in your database, usually 'mdl_'):
|Type of question||Options table||WIRIS cas table|
A definition of these tables in Moodle XMLDB format can be found in the file wiris-quizzes/install/db/install.xml.
How to create by hand the tables WIRIS Quizzes needs?
If the automatic installation of the database has failed, you can manually execute the SQL commands needed to create the tables. In order to get these commands, you can use a Moodle tool: the XMLDB editor. Hence, from an XML file that specifies the tables, you can obtain the SQL code to create them in any database supported by Moodle.
- Find the file wiris-quizzes/install/db/install.xml. It contains the complete specification in XMLDB format of the tables needed by WIRIS Quizzes.
- Open this file with the Moodle XMLDB editor, that can be found within the Moodle Administration menu, in the Miscelanea section. It is possible that, in order to open the file, you may have to make a copy of it into one of the directories that Moodle reads. For instance, you could copy wiris-quizzes/install/db/install.xml to question/type/shortanwerwiris/db/install.xml.
- From the XMLDB editor, load the file and click on “Edit".
- Click on “See SQL code” and select your type of database.
- You will be shown the SQL code required to create the tables.
- Copy and paste it into the SQL client of your database.
- Remove the file question/type/shortanwerwiris/db/install.xml if you had to create it.
How to update WIRIS Quizzes to the latest version?
Quizzes does not have an automatic update mechanism. The neatest way to update is uninstalling it and then installing the latest version:
Go to http://<your_moodle>/wiris-quizzes/uninstall.php and go until the third screen, where you are asked which actions must perform the uninstaller. Select only the first two actions; that is, “Uninstall WIRIS Quizzes” and “Delete WIRIS Quizzes files”. It is extremely important NOT to choose the third option, because you would erase all Quizzes data and all questions that use Quizzes.
After uninstallation is complete, install the latest version by following the installation instructions.